Text version – Year 7 Passion Project
Passion based learning drives knowledge of each individual student’s interests to develop their deep learning to provide them with the skills and capabilities required for life and work today.
Journey focus area
- Project based learning
- Passion based learning
- Mentoring for students and parents
Timeline and milestones
Passion project implemented in Year 7
|2019 milestones||Passion based learning will be embedded into all Year 7 programs|
- Year 7 students' ability to create high quality products.
- Year 7 students have the ability to be excited, committed and highly engaged in their learning at school and home.
- Students are capable of decision making for themselves and involve their parents in their learning.
Main challenges and solutions
- Some students needed assistance to discover what their passions were. More discovery time was needed with these students and often they changed their minds with what their passions were. Students were expected to change their passions and interest over time.
- Some students do not know what a passion looks like or have never considered one. Over time more mentoring and surveying students is needed.
- Strong parental influence or lack of engagement has a negative impact on students. A balance is needed here as parents are encouraged to support their child without having unrealistic or high expectations.