Text version – Robotics through Coding
Using robotics and coding to develop a systematic approach to the explicit instruction of future-focused competencies, such as communication, collaboration and critical thinking.
Journey focus area
Student achievement in robotics and coding
Timeline and milestones
- Observed improvement in 21st century competencies; creativity, critical thinking, collaboration and communication
- Improved academic results in all areas
- Improved student engagement
- Greater collaboration of teachers in planning for teaching
- Greater collegial sharing of resources and more importantly, teaching strategies
- Better staff relationships and respect for colleagues
- Improved understanding of the new science syllabus
- New focus on preparing students for future workplaces
- Challenging, but fun and necessary
Main challenges and solutions
- Challenging established pedagogy and structures
- By creating a supportive environment that encouraged teachers to try- and fail- in using the new technology.
- Providing significant and ongoing professional learning.
- Providing support structures.
- Prioritising the project, budgeting and researching carefully to get the best resources to support the initiative.