New Arrivals Program
The English as an additional language New Arrivals Program (NAP) provides initial, on-arrival intensive English tuition for newly arrived students at the beginning and emerging levels of English language proficiency. Support is provided to newly arrived students in primary schools, high schools and Intensive English Centres in order to develop their English language skills so that they are able to participate in learning with their peers in mainstream classes.
Access to NAP support
Students who are eligible for new arrival program support (NAP) are those who meet the following criteria:
- speak a language other than English as their first language
- require on arrival intensive EAL/D support assessed at the Beginning or Emerging phase of English language proficiency against the ACARA EAL/D Learning Progression
- are newly arrived in Australia, enrolling in school within six months of arrival or for Kindergarten students within 18 months of arrival
- are enrolling in an Australia school for the first time or transferring schools within six months after enrolling
- are an Australian citizen returning from two or more years overseas, or a permanent resident or a temporary visa holder with an Authority to Enrol (ATE) issued by the Temporary Residents Program.
The Schedule of Visa Subclasses and Enrolment Conditions lists those visas that may require an Authority to Enrol and payment of an education fee prior to enrolment proceeding. Go to the Temporary Residents Program for the Schedule of Visa Subclasses and Enrolment Conditions and more information.
Some categories of temporary visa holders are not eligible to receive EAL/D New Arrivals Program support. Schools need to check eligibility in the Schedule of Visa Subclasses and Enrolment Conditions within the Temporary Residents Program.
Eligible newly arrived students enrolling in Year 6 and in high school in the Sydney metropolitan, Armidale or Wollongong areas should be referred to their local Intensive English Centre (IEC) or Intensive English high school (IEHS). All other eligible newly arrived EAL/D students must enrol in their local school. Schools can then apply for New Arrivals Program support.
To apply for EAL/D New Arrivals Program support, schools must complete an online NAP application through the New Arrivals Program tab on the online data collections for schools website. An introduction to the new NAP application website is available to schools. The introductory video provides a step by step guide on how to locate, access, navigate and apply for NAP support using the NAP application website.
Eligible EAL/D student data is generated automatically from ERN and uploaded to the website on a regular basis.
For support regarding the NAP please contact ESLnap@det.nsw.edu.au
Information on how to enrol temporary visa holders and permanent residents is provided through DE International. Most students holding temporary visas are required to pay the temporary residents education fee and must obtain an Authority to Enrol. For conditions applying to international students (holders of student visa 571P) refer to procedures and eligibility for enrolment of international students.