Stage 4 reading - Literary devices
Students will interpret and analyse a range of literary devices, including metaphor and figurative language, in varying texts.
- EN4-1A: responds to and composes texts for understanding, interpretation, critical analysis, imaginative expression and pleasure
- EN4-2A: effectively uses a widening range of processes, skills, strategies and knowledge for responding to and composing texts in different media and technologies
- EN4-3B: uses and describes language forms, features and structures of texts appropriate to a range of purposes, audiences and contexts
National Literacy Learning Progression
- UnT9: identifies how authors create a sense of playfulness (pun, alliteration) (comprehension); analyses how language in texts serves different purposes (identifies how descriptive language is used differently in informative and persuasive texts) - see grammar (process); identifies language used to create tone or atmosphere (vocabulary)
- UnT10: evaluates the effectiveness of language forms and features used in moderately complex or some sophisticated texts - see text complexity (comprehension)
- UnT11: evaluates the use of devices such as analogy, irony and satire (comprehension); analyses how authors manipulate language features, image and sound for a purpose (to create humour or playfulness) (comprehension); interprets symbolism in texts, providing evidence to justify interpretation (comprehension); interprets and analyses complex figurative language (euphemisms, hyperbole) (vocabulary)
NAPLAN item descriptors
The relevant NAPLAN item descriptors are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Full task descriptions are included in the resource, available for download on this page.
Task 1: Identifying and define figurative language
Students identify and define language devices used in a range of texts (five activities).
Task 2: Identifying figurative language in text
Students predict language, identify devices and analyse their effect (four activities).
Task 3: Interpret and analyse literary devices in poetry
Students read a poem, highlighting any literary devices evident in text. Students annotate on the poem what they can infer from the devices (three activities).
Task 4: Analyse irony and satire in images
Students analyse cartoons and images for both satirical and ironic elements (three activities).