What is the Check-in assessment?
The Check-in assessment is an online reading and numeracy assessment for students in Years 3 to 9. The Check-in assessment windows for 2021 are:
Term 2 (Weeks 1-3 (19 April to 7 May)
- Assessment available to students in Years 4, 6 and 8 only
Term 4 (dates to be confirmed)
- Assessment available to students in Years 3 to 9
The Check-in assessment can supplement existing school practices to identify how students are performing in literacy and numeracy and to help teachers tailor their teaching more specifically to student needs.
The assessments are mapped to the NSW Syllabuses and National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions.
About the assessment
The Check-in assessment includes two online assessments for students:
- reading assessment
- numeracy assessment
Each assessment is designed to be quick and easy to administer, consisting of approximately 40 multiple choice questions.
Schools will have the flexibility to schedule the assessment to best suit their school and student needs during the assessment window.
The Check-in assessments will provide feedback soon after the completion of the assessment.
Feedback from the Check-in assessments, including links to teaching strategies will be available in Scout. Student assessment information is also mapped against the National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions and can be accessed in PLAN2.
Check-in assessment information sessions will be held via Zoom during Term 1, Weeks 6 and 7.
To attend a session, simply join the preferred session day and time online.
- Wednesday 3 March, 12:30-1:30pm (session link – staff only)
- Thursday 4 March, 3:30-4:30pm (session link – staff only)
- Tuesday 9 March, 8:00-9:00am (session link – staff only)
- Wednesday 10 March, 1:00-1:30pm (session link – staff only)
Professional learning and support
The Check-in assessment package is supported with resources and professional learning to assist schools to administer the assessments, analyse assessment feedback and plan for teaching. This will include:
- a range of online professional learning, available late Term 1, 2021
- a user-guide for school Check-in assessment coordinators and supervisors, containing information and instructions on how to prepare for and administer the assessment
- real time support via MS Teams
- strategies to identify areas to focus attention
- teaching strategies to address these areas.
How can schools participate?
All schools will be automatically included in the assessment platform. Principals simply nominate the assessment coordinator by Friday 12 March 2021 (Week 7, Term 1). An email sent to all school principals includes Check-in assessment information and the nomination link.
Schools will have the flexibility to schedule the assessments during the assessment window to best suit their school and student needs.
The Check-in assessment can be administered on the following devices: laptop, desktop PC, Chromebook, Android tablet and iPad (not iPad mini).
Headphones or earphones are required as audio files are available for various aspects of the assessments.
No locked down browser is required to administer the Check-in assessment.
- Factsheet, including FAQs (DOCX.102KB) (staff only)
- Watch our short Check-in assessment video (staff only)