Parents and carers
Having a tough time and need support right now? Help is available. Access confidential, 24/7 support.
Mental health resources
Ways you can help your child with their mental health.
- Department of Education: Wellbeing – A good place to start when supporting your child's health and wellbeing is to gather expert information and advice.
- headspace: 7 ways to support a young person’s healthy headspace – Young people often need extra help to maintain a healthy headspace. Here are some ideas about how families and friends can provide that extra support.
- ReachOut: One-on-one support – If you feel you need some specialised support, there are many people and services out there to help. You can start with ReachOut's free one on one support, accessed through their website.
Resources for parents and carers to support their own mental health.
- Department of Education: I am a parent or carer (Care and Connect) – When we're busy caring for others, we can sometimes forget to care for ourselves. Here are some simple ways to help yourself.
- Emerging Minds: Self-care plan – completed – At times it helps to consider how well we are caring for ourselves. Emerging Minds provides a self care plan for parents.
- Head to Health – Head to Health is an Australian Government website which can point you to a host of resources and services to get help for yourself, particularly when times are tough.
Resources to help you learn more about mental health.
- Department of Education: Wellbeing services – Self-care is important for everyone. At your fingertips, you have many phone contacts, agencies, websites and apps to help you. You can also download a printable version of all these resources.
- ReachOut: Parents – ReachOut provides a large range of information and advice for parents to support their children and themselves.
- ParentLine: Parenting a Child with a Disability – ParentLine NSW provides support and advice for parents of children with a disability
- Head to Health – Head to Health is an Australian government website. It includes details on a range of trusted mental health service providers.