Your school attendance procedures
Plan your school attendance procedures, using the template provided to detail the required and recommended actions, responsibilities and key resources .
School procedures process map
The School Attendance Policy and procedures are used by schools to inform the day to day actions to manage and promote attendance.
A visual process map is provided to help schools discuss their school attendance procedures, and clarify actions and responsibilites, as well as identifying the key resources required.
School staff can use this to discuss school procedures for scenarios specific to their school context. Once agreed, a copy can be displayed or shared with the relevant audience.
The School Attendance Policy is referred to for further information and where required, schools can contact their attendance support officer for guidance.
How to use the process map
The school attendance team or executive should identify a specific issue or process as a focus for planning.
Download the editable process map template to assist staff detail the planning.
Develop a brief statement explaining the presenting issue.
- Refer to the School Attendance Policy and Guidelines to support planning of the school's actions.
- Explain each action required to respond to the presenting issue.
- what action needs to be taken? are there legal and/or policy requirements?
- who is responsible for completing this action?
- when does the action need to occur?
- is there a required timeframe?
- what are the expected outcomes?
You might also:
- reference a specific policy requirement
- include key resources, perhaps hyperlinked for ease of access
- consider contacts to include.
Examples scenarios using the process map are available to assist school staff discussion and planning.
We're creating a bank of scenarios for schools, based on frequently asked questions, such as:
- 3 days unexplained absence
A school has not been able to make contact with the student’s family.
- Sporadic non-attendance
A cohort of students have been identified by a pattern of sporadic attendance. A school response tailored to the underlying causes is required.
- Removal from roll
A student's details have been removed from the roll, having not attended school for several weeks. A school process for investigation is required.
The scenarios are examples only, and provide an 'at a glance' visual discussion tool for staff professional learning.
Schools should refer to the School Attendance Policy for further information and where required, contact their attendance support officer.
School staff can download worked examples (staff only) for discussion.