Learning to read
Teachers talk about how you can help your child learn to read – and love to read.
At a glance
- Read to your child often.
- Let them look at the pictures to help figure out the story.
- Encourage them to sound out the words.
- Don't jump in and tell them – let them try to figure it out.
- Practise sight words such as: the, where, who, why, there, one.
- Pause, prompt, praise.
- Praise for trying gives kids confidence to have a go.
- Practise – learning to read requires repetition.
- Try to find books about subjects your child is interested in.
- Be patient – reading takes time to master.
- Reading should be enjoyable time together – try not to get anxious about it.
Video – 'Learning to read'
Duration – 5:48