Tip: Get your child to be the banker so they can be in charge of the money. This will give them hands-on experience with handling money coming in and going out of the bank.
Monopoly is a great way to help your child understand money, and the strategies to grow and save it! This classic board game is a great way to explore transactions, rent, income, rent, budgeting and negotiation – all while having fun and using maths.
3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10
27 February 2021
Things you need
- 2+ players
- Monopoly (board game)
Set up and play a family game of Monopoly.
As you're playing the game, ask your child these questions to get them thinking deeper about how money works:
- "What decision are you thinking of making here? Should you buy, should you sell?"
- "I don't have any more $100 notes left. How else can I make $130 - can you help me?"
- "What set of properties do you want to buy? Do you think you have enough money to pay for them if you land on those places?"
- "If I got really unlucky and landed on each of your properites on one lap around the board, how much rent would I need to pay you?"
- "When we play again next time, would you change your strategy? What would you do differently?"