Get your child to pack their lunch with you and use this as an opportunity to explore mass.
28 February 2021
Things you need
- Food and drink items for the day
Show your child what they would normally have for lunch.
Ask your child to hold a food item in each hand to compare their mass to work out which is the lightest. While they're comparing, help them talk about the mass using words like:
- light, lighter, lightest
- heavy, heavier, heaviest.
Get them to repeat step 2 until they have all the items are ordered from lightest to heaviest.
Ask your child these questions to support their understanding of mass:
- "So the mandarin is lighter than the museli bar? Is it lighter than the saltanas?"
- "Let's do this activity with your toys/books/balls?"
- "Are you surprised that the sandwich is lighter than the yoghurt cup, even though the sandwich is bigger?"