Projects considered under SERAP

You will need SERAP approval to:

  • conduct research at schools
  • request access to data that is held by the department to use for research purposes
  • conduct an evaluation that you plan to make publicly available

You will not need SERAP approval for:

  • research in TAFE
  • surveys and opinion polls that are not part of a research design
  • gaining access to extant data held by the department for any purposes other than as part of a research design
  • HSC, university undergraduate and postgraduate assignments
  • the trial or evaluation of education resources or programs that are not part of a research design.

More information is available in our SERAP guidelines (DOCX 69.64KB).

If you require more information, please contact the Research Team on 9244 5060 or at

Return to top of page Back to top