Premier's NESA Quality Teaching Scholarship
This scholarship is open to accredited primary and secondary teachers currently teaching in NSW schools. Eligibility is also open to early childhood teachers currently teaching in NSW services.
The scholarship is for the study of quality teaching. It is designed to support teacher accreditation and professional development, to provide resources and evidence to improve practice, and celebrate and acknowledge teacher excellence in NSW. The Australian Professional Standards for Teachers reflect and build on national and international evidence that a teacher's effectiveness has a powerful impact on students, with broad consensus that teacher quality is the single most important in-school factor influencing student achievement. Continually improving teacher quality is considered an essential part of the NSW Government's efforts to improve student attainment and ensure NSW has a world-class system of education.
For example, applications by interested teachers could propose to:
- Investigate global trends in teacher quality, professional development and mentoring and how these could be applied in NSW schools and/or early childhood services.
- Investigate the representative tasks of expert teachers and how their impact on students, schools and other educators is measured.
- Research how high performing systems currently develop, identify and share the knowledge and practice of expert teachers.
- Identify the aspects of teaching standards in Australian and international contexts that have been successful in driving widespread quality teaching and investigate key features of their successful implementation.
- Research how expert teachers in Australian and international contexts can lead to higher performance by leading professional development.
- Investigate the current and emerging themes of quality practice in teaching and professional development across national and international educational contexts.
- Research what professional development and mentoring practices are valued by teachers at all career stages and leaders in national and international contexts.
The successful applicant will undertake a study tour of up to five weeks in Australia and/or overseas with travel to be completed by 30 June 2021. Time need not be spent in formal study but may involve a program of visits to schools, institutions and experts to conduct interviews, observe exemplary practices and collect resources related to quality teaching. The successful applicant's research may be incorporated into NESA resources supporting quality teaching across NSW.
One scholarship of $15,000 will be offered for travel during 2021.
Proudly supported by the NSW Education Standards Authority